Giving Your Youth A Voice
When your club is setting up a youth section it is a good idea to include if possible the opions of some prospective members when appropriate, once the section is up and running this becomes even more important! While this might sound like a challenging task remember some of the young people taking part in the sessions will be the coaches and committee members of the future!
When setting up a Youth Forum it is important to consider the overal committee structure of your club and integrate this group into that structure in the way that will work best for your club. The most common situation however will be that the Youth Forum will be lead by the youth section leader or one of the youth section coaches who may not nessesarily chair the meetings but will be able to provide guidance as required. This person will then sit on the Youth Section Committee and will relay the opinions of the Youth Forum as required.
The Youth Forum should be made up of a group of (4-8) athletes who:
- are committed members of the youth section and attend sessions regularly;
- are passionate about triathlon;
- are interested in making a difference for all members;
- able to commit to meeting the required number of times per year.
Role of the Group
The role of the Youth Forum is to:
- be the voice of the young people within the club;
- inform the coaches & committee of important issues/developments that influence our young members participation in triathlon/the club;
- support the main committee with projects related to the youth section, for example at the Annual AGM/Awards Evening;
- help and volunteer at club events.