Our Scottish National Championship events are the flagship event series in the Scottish Calendar. We work in conjunction with specially selected event organisers to deliver nine National Championship events each year, and we welcome competitors from across Scotland, as well as further afield, to take part.
Scottish Championship eligibility and prize fund
Scottish National Championship events comprise overall winners and age group category winners, giving members the chance to compete against their peers and win national titles from youth to classic.
The Scottish Championship events also come with a £1,400 prize purse, with 1st / 2nd / 3rd placed male and female racers pocketing prizes of £400 / £200 / £100 (excludes youth, schools and team relay championships). To be eligible to win a national title you must be a member of Triathlon Scotland, except for the Scottish Schools Championships.
There are nine championship events planned in 2018 and 2019*:
- Duathlon – Stirling, Sunday 25 March. Hosted by Stirling Triathlon Club
- Schools (aquathlon) – Stirling, Friday 20 April. Hosted by Triathlon Scotland /Stirling University/Beaconhurst School
- Mixed Team Relay – tbc (awaiting venue confirmation)
- Youth – Bellahouston Park, Saturday 16 June. Hosted by Fusion Triathlon Club
- Sprint – Monikie Country Park, Sunday 08 July. Hosted by M3 Triathlon Club
- Aquathlon – Loch Lomond, Saturday 28 July. Hosted by Lomond Masters Swimming & Triathlon Club
- Middle – Kenmore, Sunday 19 August. Hosted by Triathlon Edinburgh Ltd.
- Standard – Knockburn Loch, Sunday 09 September. Hosted by Fleet Feet Triathletes
- Cross – Oban/Kerrera (Craggy Island), Saturday 06 October. Hosted by Durty Events
- Cross – Aviemore, tbc 2019. Hosted by Durty Events
* The Cross triathlon event will be hosted at Craggy Island in 2018 and Aviemore in 2019.
For a list of previous Scottish National Champions, see our Championships Roll of Honour.
To be eligible to win a Scottish Championship title and associated prizemoney, participants must have a valid Triathlon Scotland membership. BTF rule 15.5 states that particpants must ensure that their membership (also known as a race licence) is valid no later than by 5pm 3 days prior to the championship e.g. 5pm Wednesday before a Sunday event. The only exception is the Scottish Youth Championships where memberships can be purchased on race day.
Host a Scottish Championship
Bidding is closed for 2018 and 2019 Scottish National Championship events. Bidding for 2020 and 2021 Championships will open in 2019.
Hosting a Championship helps to attract more race entrants and includes additional support from us. We are awarding Championship status for two years to offer more security to event organisers. We also hope that by offering a longer championships status, we will help Championships events to develop and hosts have the opportunity to secure additional sponsors and support for their event locally.
For full details of the championship bidding process and the support provided in return to successful hosts, please read through the Championship bidding guidelines and then complete the application process outlined here.
- Championship bidding guidelines
- Championship bid application form
- British Triathlon Rules and Regulations