Event Permitting & Support
We rely on volunteer and commercial event organisers to provide triathletes in Scotland and the UK with races to test their skills and fitness. We offer a range of support to organisers of triathlon events in Scotland with a focus on raising the quality of events and improving the competitor experience. Support for event organisers includes:
- Guidance to bring your event ideas to life
- Access to event guides, manuals and templates
- An annual event organiser training course
- An annual event organiser gathering with our Technical & Moto Officials
- Risk assessment review and issue of event permit certificates
- Event listings on our website and the British Triathlon website
- Social media promotion including links to encourage sign ups
- Access to national branding materials (flags, banners etc)
- Allocation of a qualified Technical Official (a volunteer contribution apply)
- Support to bid for Scottish Championships status
- Support to bid for GB Age Group Qualifier & British Championship status
- Eligibility to win Triathlon Scotland and British Triathlon Awards
- Regular updates and news and dedicated Facebook Forum (The Racing Post)
- Event organiser insurance for affiliated clubs*
- Provide all your competitors who are not members of the Home Nations Associations with third party public liability insurance through the day membership scheme
*Independent race organisers must have a minimum insurance cover of £5 million.
Event Guidance and Support
We are here to help you to bring your event ideas to life, so please get in touch whatever your question is about organising your triathlon race. Whether you need advice about course design, first aid cover, water quality or where to go to source event equipment, timing and supplies, we can help!
To ensure our events are safe and fun, event organisers must complete the Triathlon Scotland event permitting (sanctioning) process. Event organisers submit a risk assessment form and are subsequently awarded an event permit certificate which can be shown to your local authority and local police that your event has been approved by Triathlon Scotland.
The most visited part of the Triathlon Scotland website is unsurprisingly our events search function! By permitting your event with us, your event will be listed on our website. You can upload your competitor notes, an event image, a youtube video and more on your listing. To get started, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a link to log in. We also share links to your events on our social media and our printed materials.
Each event permitted by Triathlon Scotland is charged a levy to cover event insurance and contribute to the event support services support outlined above. We reinvest event levies to develop triathlon in Scotland, up-skill our technical official workforce and host training courses to improve event delivery.
Event Organiser Training
The Event Organisers Course is run in partnership with British Triathlon and covers a wide range of useful skills from project scoping and course design to financial planning. For more information, please visit our course page.
Event Permitting (sanctioning)
- Event Permitting Guide (updated 12/16)
- Event Levy Guide (updated 07/17)
- Upload Your Event Guide
- Risk Assessment Form (updated 03/18)
- Event Management & Safety Template (updated 11/16)
- Emergency Action Plan Template
- Incident Report Form Template
Event Organising Guides
- Event Organiser Guide
- Open Water Safety Guide (updated 04/17)
- Water Quality Guide (updated 04/17)
- Including Participants with a Disability Guide
- BTF Medical Provision at Events Guide (updated 03/16)
- SAS Medical Provision at Events Guide
- Event Suppliers and Contacts
- Event Budget Template
- Event Marketing How To Guide
- Sponsorship Matrix
Youth Event Guides
- Children’s Event Organiser Guide (coming soon as under review)
- Event Organiser PVG guidance
- Photography Use Form
- Parental Consent Form